Tuesday, November 18, 2008

First-time voter

This past Presidential election saw many vote for the first time in their life. Many of these first-time voters were young people, getting involved in the political process. Even though I feel many were misguided by the campaign of the President-elect, they still involved themselves in the political process, which I believe is a good thing.

However, in reading the Harrisburg Patriot News yesterday (Monday, 11/17), I came across this article about a woman, 81 years of age, who voted for the first time. This is not newsworthy. To me, this is completely unacceptable. Simply put, this is a story of complacency. This woman should not be celebrated. She should be put in front of others as an example of what not to do.

Also, as I read the article, it was not about the stance that the man took on issues that inspired her to vote. It was not due to his views, his platform, or his character. Rather, she voted for him because of his color. She was not enthusiastic over his agenda and what he wants to do as President. Rather, he is someone 'like her.' This is not a reason to vote for someone. It is the content of the person's character that matters, not the color of his skin. Yet so many think this is the realization of the dream that MLK Jr. spoke so adamantly about (and I do agree with, by the way).

Is it any wonder why people today do not care about the political process? With examples like this, I can now see why younger people have the attitude towards politics that we see expressed in their thoughts and actions.

I turned 18 in 1991, just a couple of weeks before the PA election primaries. I was registered to vote in that election, and I have not missed one since then. I am not patting myself on the back because of this. Rather, I saw this as an opportunity to have my voice heard. I hope to instill this same dedication to voting in my own kids. We talk to them about elections and why we believe the things we do and why we are voting for certain people.

I maintain that voting is a privilege, not a right. If it was a right, we would not have to go out of our way to register. Instead, we have the freedom to choose to vote or not to vote. It is a privilege that many, to their own detriment, do not take advantage of. Voting is an opportunity that we have to take a stand for something/someone. Yet many choose not to do this. If you do not vote, I do not want to hear you complain about the results of an election or the people in office. If you were too complacent to get out and lend a voice to your cause, then you should be just as complacent in your attitude to the outcome of the election.

No comments: