Monday, March 28, 2011

My March Madness Favorite - The University of Kentucky

I have decided that since my bracket selections have all been booted from the tournament, I am going to spend the last week of the tournament cheering for the University of Kentucky.  This seems like an odd choice, since I am usually a Duke Blue Devils fan.

There are many reasons that someone will choose to cheer for a certain college sports team.  It could be that it was the school that they went to.  Or it could be the school that they cheered for while they were growing up.  Or maybe they know someone that went to that school and played for one of the sports teams.  Like I said, there are a variety of reasons.

My reason in cheering for Kentucky is slightly different.  Actually, it is kind of an oddball reason to cheer for a team.  It actually has nothing to do with the University of Kentucky.  It has nothing to do with the state of Kentucky.  It actually has nothing to do with collegiate athletics.  Instead, I am cheering for the University of Kentucky because I am a New York Yankees fan.

You may be have just read that previous sentence and said to yourself, "What does pro baseball have to do with college basketball?"  Well, let me explain.  You see, the last 6 times that the University of Kentucky Wildcats have won the NCAA men's basketball championship, the Yankees went on to win the World Series later in that same year.  Yes, you read that right.  When the Wildcats win the championship, so do the Yankees.  This happened in 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, and 1998.

This is quite the obscure statistic, but it does bode well for the Yankees (should the Wildcats win the tournament).  You may say that just because a correlation exists does not mean that one event causes the other, and this is a true statement.  However, I choose to look at this historically, and I do not want to mess with a winning formula.

No comments: